[Discuss] Why use Linux?

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 04:47:02AM -0500, MBR wrote:
> Hi Micky.  If you're going to mention Linux and the FSF, it might be
> best if you were to call it "GNU/Linux" rather than "Linux" and
> explain why the FSF (and Stallman in particular) prefers "GNU/Linux"
> to simply "Linux". (See "What's in a Name?

Or, it might very well not.  This kind of political posturing is one
of the things which, in my experience, actually gives some people a
bad taste for Free Software.  A lot of people feel that this issue
largely boils down to Stallman being a whiny crybaby for not getting
sufficiently prominent recognition that he thinks he deserves (rightly
or wrongly), which again, can be a big turn off for a lot of people.

Most people don't care one iota about Free Software, though they may
well be very interested in free software.  Most people just want to
get stuff done, in my experience.  For those that do care, the
information is plenty easy to find... and just mentioning the FSF is
probably plenty enough of a cue for those people to follow.

-=-=-=-=-