[Discuss] Redundant array of inexpensive servers: clustering?

Kent Borg wrote:
> There is a non-free DRBD that handles more than two nodes. There might
> be something useful down that path.

The point of a quorum disk is the race condition. When the cluster
splits the nodes race to fence the quorum disk and write their
signatures. Fencing ensures that only one node can write to the quorum
disk and the signature identifies the winner to the other nodes in the
cluster. DRBD on its own can't do this. Corosync + Pacemaker supposedly
can do it on top of DRBD but that's a full-on HA cluster suite with all
of the overhead and maintenance that entails.

If you're just doing hot to cold replication with manual switch then you
don't need a heartbeat or quorum. Just let your hot node do its work,
let DRBD replicate blocks to the cold node, and if the hot node fails
then shut it down and flip whatever switch turns the cold node into the
hot node. Just be sure to do your backups because DRBD will happily
replicate trashed data to the cold node.

--
Rich P.