[Discuss] Redundant array of inexpensive servers: clustering?

Jabr observed:
> adding HA to a legacy application after the fact is a lot like adding
> security to an application after it's been developed, instead of
> addressing security as part of the application development process.

Very astute. Wouldn't it be nice if there were some OpenStack-like HA
framework that was (a) easy to set up, (b) worked the same way on every
hardware config ranging from a single laptop to a global cluster of data
centers, and (c) enjoyed full support from most people in the FOSS-developer
community.

Hah. It's not obvious how or whether that could ever happen.

I saw "Particle Fever" last night.  One of the scientists made an observation
to the effect that, never before in the history of mankind has the future of
an entire (occupational) field turned on the results of a single event.  In
the case of the Large Hadron Collider, he was referring to whether the
calculated mass of the Higgs Boson would be high enough to rule out the
so-called Standard Model of theoretical physics, and along with it the future
of such big-science collider projects (there would be no point in those
experimental observations anymore).

Trends in our industry are leading to the following similar question: has AWS
developed such a strategic advantage that all alternative infrastructure
solutions will be absorbed or destroyed in the coming shakeout of
cloud-service providers?

Without my proposed easy-setup little-guy RAIS project, I'm coming to the
conclusion that AWS has already gotten where its executives want it to be: on
the road to (inevitable?) world domination. The linchpin is security
certification; if rivals can no longer get it, it will quite possibly be game
over.

That has serious consequences to the careers of anyone with ambition in
systems/network infrastructure.

-rich