[Discuss] php dev's code with warnings and notices

On 7/26/2014 5:56 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've recently been asked to work with a team of PHP developers on a
> pretty large and complex project.  The code they have submitted works,
> but it has a bunch of warnings and notices in the logs.  I personally
> think this is sloppy coding.  My question is, how strong a stand
> should I take on this issue?  I have the senior role but I am also the
> "new guy".  I feel that code should have no warnings or notices.  But
> maybe this is not the norm?  Maybe there exists situations where it
> can't be avoided that I don't realize.  What do you think?
>
> Thanks,

I recommend you tell the coders that all warnings will be looked at
carefully, and that you'll keep track of whose code produced them. When
you put your team on notice that warning messages are not something they
can ignore, you'll see far fewer of them.

Notices, OTOH, might be insignificant. Look them up and decide case-by-case.

Bill

--
E. William Horne
William Warren Consulting