[Discuss] memory management

How Swap and Memory are used is controlled largely by the 'swappiness'
setting.  The default is correct for servers but not for workstations.

swap - How do I configure swappiness? - Ask Ubuntu
The Linux kernel provides a tweakable setting that controls how often
the swap file is used, called swappiness. A swappiness setting of zero
means that the disk will ...
askubuntu.com/questions/103915/how-do-i-configure-swapp...

SwapFaq - Community Help Wiki - Ubuntu
The hibernation implementation currently used in Ubuntu, swsusp, needs
a swap or suspend partition. ... The default setting in Ubuntu is
swappiness=60.
help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq