[Discuss] large log file transfer

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Mike Small <smallm at panix.com> wrote:

>   I'm not seeing the value for network transfers
> unless a continue/resume feature or rsync is not available

?If the only way from the afflicted system to the workstation where the
logfile can be conveniently analyzed is e.g. email with antiquated 5MB
attachment ?restriction ...
then ?split, (compress, ?mail)* makes sense.

Regarding employer trouble cmts up-thread, posting with his own name to a
publicly archived list suggests ?he's moving something he's authorized to
read to somewhere he's authorized to read it further, he just needs to
figure out how.

?If the limited network supports rsync or wget/curl/sftp with
continue/resume, they're better no matter how slow.

[ And ?unless using a really lame microcontroller, just set Compress On in
.ssh/config so you get compression everywhere. It's the 21st Century. Then
you can compress files for disk rationing but you don't need to compress
before transfer, it just happens transparently. ]

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux