[Discuss] memory management

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:02:01 -0500
Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 02:45:13AM -0400, Peter Olson wrote:
> > > On June 25, 2015 at 4:39 PM Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org>
> > > wrote: If you browse daily, and browsing is causing your problem,
> > > then it seems clear to me that you do not.
> >
> > Blaming the victim is unproductive.
>
> No, sticking your head in the sand and blaming someone else is
> unproductive.
>
> Ever hear of contributory negligence?  The victim has some
> responsibility to do what is necessary to prevent from being the
> victim, in a great many cases.

Please tell me you're kidding and just mocking judgemental people.

The OP (Original Poster) had a problem with his machine slowing to a
crawl when Firefox had been running awhile. He asked for advice. Plain,
simple advice. Several people (myself included) acknowledged that we
had seen the same thing, and some of us gave suggestions.

Anyway, to the OP I suggest this:

   Write a little cron-driven program to kill any plugin-containe or
   Firefox processes that have used more than 90% of CPU or more than
   50% RAM during two consecutive five second scans.

That way, regardless of whose "fault" it is, your machine will remain
useable. By outfitting your little cron driven program to maintain a
log of kills, you can find out a lot about the nature of this problem,
perhaps eventually leading to a solution.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key