[Discuss] xargs guide

Daniel is correct that i hadn't a clue that someone had hacked good old
find(1)  to have an efficient option for modern drives that dispenses with
the notorious ';' . We thought BSD was confusing the userland by changing
Bell Unix options on ps and ls ... gnu and free/openbsd are changing
everything, whether it needs it or not.   ?
#include <oldman/rant/7>

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> And it still doesn't work with other sources.

?Once again, I agree with Rich ?  It happens ...

The fact that 'xargs' will work with sources other than 'find' makes
'xargs' more useful.
Does one thing well, work with other things via pipe to synergize many
combinations, the true Unix way.

My favorite replacement for both 'find' and 'grep -r' is 'ack'. It finds
things for coders.
(http://beyondgrep.com/, filters by pattern *and* by detected file types
not just extensions)
Ack supports list of files in addition to listing matches, specifically
compatible with 'xargs' and to 'xargs -0'.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux