[Discuss] how much can i use a smartphone as a computer?

On 09/09/2015 01:09 PM, Chris Markiewicz wrote:
> My personal list of reasons I would keep my smartphone over going back
> to something I only have to charge once a week [...]

I don't think a "smartphone" is going to be a good replacement for much
of your current technology, I don't think you want to start programming
on something smaller than a notebook, rather I think it will let you do
new stuff.

I have a smallish Android phone and a small Android tablet. Rarely do I
talk on my phone but I never go a day without using both for something.
I frequently go days without talking on the phone.

Both are "Nexus" models so bloatware is not really a problem, and
out-of-the-box I only have to trust Google's software, I don't have to
also trust add-ons from the manufacturer, plus add-ons from the carrier
(and with some phones, it seems other middlemen who are pre-loading
malware!). Unfortunately the current collection of Google Nexus models
is very limited.

On a daily basis I mostly use my Androids for "Hangouts" (Google's
texting program, etc.), Twitter (mostly as a customized hard news
service), and listening to distant radio stations that stream on the
internet (real radio stations for me, not subscription services). I also
read news and e-books, but not that much. (My e-paper Kindle is much
nicer for book reading, and my notebook is nicer for NYT reading.)

I use the camera occasionally as a way to "take notes". Amazing how
often a trip to Home Depot starts with a photo detailing some aspect the
problem I want to solve.

Google Maps might be nice on the desktop, but it is /particularly/
useful in a portable format. I also have an off-line map program that
works when I am out of cell range.

Web searches are also nice on the desktop, but when out and about they
take on a new usefulness. Similarly, we like Open Table for finding
restaurants that are appealing, near, open now (or when we want to eat),
and have room for us.

Very nice to occasionally use my phone as a network connection for other
devices. (My tablet only has wifi, no cell data.)

A couple weeks ago we went to DC on Amtrak for a very quick trip. From
referring to maps, to searching maps, to ordinary web searches, to
finding a restaurant, to being a wifi hotspot, my "phone" and tablet
were so useful. But I don't know that I ever /talked/ on my so-called
phone that weekend.

-kb, the Kent who also brought his Linux notebook, for trying to get
some programming done on the train.

P.S. I don't use my Android devices for banking or brokerage accounts.
These enormous, new OSs are too big a target, too scary. I'll stick with
my Linux notebook for that; I run far less "interesting" software there.
Also I don't use any password managers on my daily phone or tablet for
the same reason that I don't trust them, rather I have a very cheap
little brand-x Chinese Android phone dedicated to being a password safe,
with nearly no software is installed on it, and I never let it connect
to the internet nor to any cell systems--I don't need to trust it that
much if I keep it incommunicado. (More likely I will use my Linux
notebook to look up passwords. Good passphrases are hard to enter on a
little touch screen.)