[Discuss] Cloud-backup solutions for Linux?

Who says sync/sharing is not a backup?  Is the goal a backup not to have
two or more copies of your data in different locations?  If the datacenter
happens to fail, your other copy would be the local one, correct?
Swapping backup drives/tapes isn't without it's own problems.  What happens
if the bank building burns down?  Or the drive/tape becomes corrupt?
Computer dies before your bi-monthly/quarterly drive swap?

For me, using a live sync solution provides a better backup solution than
dealing with SneakerNet. My backups are up to the minute and automatic and
redundant (computer -> ownCloud -> S3 in other region). I personally have
no time for dealing with manually backing up our personal computers and
swapping a drive at my banks vault.  My solution works for me because it
solves my problem of having offsite backups (and recovery) and keeps it
simple.  The trick is to find what works for you because if it's burdensome
and complicated you're not going to do it or you're going to forget about
it.  With all these idea/solutions we're playing the odds.  What are the
odds that my cloud instance, S3 and my local computer all die at the same
time?  What are the chances that my computer dies the day before I get a
backup to disk and take it to the bank?  Don't write off sync
technologies/services as not acceptable.  Evaluate what your needs are and
what is acceptable for data loss is and make a choice based on that.  For
some the cost of hosting their own sync server will not be worth it and a
backup drive taken to the bank is "good enough".

Matt