[Discuss] Cloud-backup solutions for Linux?

On September 25, 2015, Rich Braun wrote:
>I have a couple of suggested improvements, since your solution's
>quite similar to mine. [...]

Thanks so much for taking the time to suggest improvements. rsnapshot
seems like a clear win. I am not familiar with unison but it seems
like a good idea for maintaining an up-to-date copy with little lag.

One piece I've never fully worked out is backing up the live VM's
(VMware Workstation) running on my Linux box. I suspect that rsync-ing
the disk files to a remote drive while the VM is running probably does
not produce a working duplicate, but I haven't tested that.  I will
likely modify my backup script to suspend the VMs prior to backups and
resume them afterward. (I'm not too, too worried because the virtual
disks contain only OS files and I could just recreate the VMs without
too much trouble.)

Dan