[Discuss] OT: Boston seeks: Broadband and Digital Equity Advocate

Last week the Boston City Council voted to have a hearing re: the possibilities
for free WiFi in Boston's Senior and Family Public Housing.
I'm guessing independent of that, the City just posted the position below.
As per:
http://www.cityofboston.gov/images_documents/MM1_SalPlan_tcm3-2025.PDF
I think the starting pay may be about $54K

Job posting is at:
https://recruit.cityofboston.gov:8443/psc/prdcg/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=349135&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
or
http://bit.ly/1OEbZ1b

Job Description
Job Title: Broadband and Digital Equity Advocate
Broadband and Digital Equity Advocate

Job ID: 349135

Location:
ASD-Mgmt Information Systems

Information Technology/Telecom

This is a provisional appointment.

The City of Boston's Department of Innovation and Technology (DoIT) is hiring a
Broadband and Digital Equity Advocate to lead policy and planning initiatives
aimed at increasing broadband affordability and availability, and providing all
Boston residents with the skills and resources they need to connect.

Broadband is an essential infrastructure for the 21st century. But for too many
of our residents and businesses, service is too slow, too expensive, or simply
not available. Fast broadband is key to economic and educational opportunity,
it connects our world-class universities and hospitals, and it is the engine
that powers our digital economy.

Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):

 	- Researches and makes recommendations for strategies to encourage
broadband availability and affordability, such as: Regulatory changes;
Development or tax incentives; Municipal / middle mile network building;
Solicitation of private market entrants through RFP or RFI; Leveraging
City-owned broadband resources (fiber, conduit, facilities, etc.) for
commercial or public use.
 	- Becomes fully familiar with the residential and business broadband
market in Boston.
 	- Develops a clear articulation of City's broadband and digital equity
policy objectives, and providing regular internal and external communication
about our work in this area.
 	- Engages local stakeholders (government, business, public,
institutional), both formally and informally to understand their needs and
goals.
 	- Provides project planning leadership on any strategies adopted by the
City.
 	- Works closely with other City agencies that have a role in broadband
and digital equity, such as the Boston Public Schools, Economic Development,
and Public Works Department.
 	- Plans and participates in public events focused on broadband and
digital equity.
 	- Communicates with various local and national broadband policy
organizations.
 	- Tracks relevant state and federal legislation and rulemaking, and
identify opportunities for advocacy by the City on behalf of our policy aims.
 	- Performs related work as required.

Minimum Entrance Requirements:

- A minimum of two (2) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time,
professional experience in government, advocacy, or non-profit, preferably
working on policy issues. A bachelor's degree in public policy, urban planning
or related field strongly preferred and may be substituted for the required
experience.  A master's degree in public policy, urban planning, or related
field is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Presentation skills required.
- Strong organizational and project management skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment and with all
levels of management.
- Experience researching and analyzing complex, technical policy topics is
strongly preferred.
- Ability to complete projects efficiently and independently.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
- Familiarity with broadband technologies and the evolving broadband policy
landscape preferred.
- Experience planning and participating in public engagement opportunities such
as public forums and comment solicitations preferred.

Boston Residency Required.

Terms:
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: SENA/MM1-6
Hours per week: 35
Please refer to the Salary Information section on the Boston Career Center site
for more information on compensation. For each Salary Plan, salaries are listed
by Grade and Step.