[Discuss] "Plan for More Secure, Reliable Wi-Fi Routers"

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 08:51:43 -0400
From: David Farber <farber at gmail.com>
To: ip <ip at listbox.com>

Global Internet Experts Reveal Plan for More Secure, Reliable
Wi-Fi Routers - and Internet Letter to FCC Requests Mandates for
Securing and Updating Wi-Fi Devices

October 14, 2015 06:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In a letter submitted to the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC), Dave Tht, co-founder of the
Bufferbloat Project, and Dr. Vinton Cerf, co-inventor of the
Internet, along with more than 260 other global network and
cybersecurity experts, responded to the newly proposed FCC rules
laid out in ET Docket No. 15-170 for RF Devices such as Wi-Fi
routers by unveiling a new approach to improve the security of
these devices and ensure a faster, better, and more secure
Internet.

"The recommendations in this document would go a long way toward
ensuring the existence of a highly performant, secure, and
regulation-compliant Internet far into the future."

The letter was filed during the agency.s public comment period on
this issue.

Dave Farber, former Chief Technologist of the FCC, supports the
new approach, stating, "Today there are hundreds of millions of
Wi-Fi routers in homes and offices around the globe with severe
software flaws that can be easily exploited by criminals. While
we agree with the FCC that the rules governing these devices must
be updated, we believe the proposed rules laid out by the agency
lack critical accountability for the device manufacturers."

"We can't afford to let any part of the Internet's infrastructure
rot in place. We made this proposal because the wireless spectrum
must not only be allocated responsibly, but also used
responsibly. By requiring a bare minimum of openness in the
technology at the edge of the Internet, we'll ensure that any
mistakes or cheating are caught early and fixed fast," said Dr.
Vint Cerf, a co-inventor of the Internet and also Senior Vice
President and Chief Internet Evangelist at Google.

To improve accountability significantly while keeping the
original intent of the regulation, the signatories, who also
included Dr. Paul Vixie, Dr. Sascha Meinrath, Dr. Nick Feamster,
Jim Gettys, Dr. David P. Reed, Dr. Andreas Petlund, Jeff Osborn,
and other well-known industry experts, recommend the FCC mandate
the following actions:

1. Any vendor of software-defined radio (SDR), wireless, or Wi-Fi
radio must make public the full and maintained source code for
the device driver and radio firmware in order to maintain FCC
compliance. The source code should be in a buildable,
change-controlled source code repository on the Internet,
available for review and improvement by all.

2. The vendor must assure that secure update of firmware be
working at time of shipment, and that update streams be under
ultimate control of the owner of the equipment. Problems with
compliance can then be fixed going forward by the person legally
responsible for the router being in compliance.

3. The vendor must supply a continuous stream of source and
binary updates that must respond to regulatory transgressions and
Common Vulnerability and Exposure reports (CVEs) within 45 days
of disclosure, for the warranted lifetime of the product, or
until five years after the last customer shipment, whichever is
longer.

4. Failure to comply with these regulations should result in FCC
decertification of the existing product and, in severe cases, bar
new products from that vendor from being considered for
certification.

5. Additionally, we ask the FCC to review and rescind any rules
for anything that conflicts with open source best practices,
produce unmaintainable hardware, or cause vendors to believe they
must only ship undocumented .binary blobs. of compiled code or
use lockdown mechanisms that forbid user patching. This is an
ongoing problem for the Internet community committed to best
practice change control and error correction on safety-critical
systems.

"Our fight for a free and open Internet began long before the
invention and wide use of Wi-Fi home routers, whose manufacturers
chose to base on open software. We are at an important inflection
point in the history of the Internet. The FCC has an opportunity
to take positive action that will increase the security and
performance not only of these devices, but also influence how
manufacturers develop secure Internet of Things while preserving
an open Internet," said Jim Gettys, Chairman, Bufferbloat
Project.

"Networking research and innovation fundamentally depend on the
ability to modify firmware on CPE and deploy it in real-world
settings in home networks," said Dr. Nick Feamster, Acting
Director of Center for Information Technology Policy at Princeton
University.

"The Internet is now effectively a battleground with end-users,
our employers, our schools and our vendors on one side, and
organized crime and nation-states on the other side. Our home
gateways are often repurposed by our adversaries into weapons
against us because these small, cheap plastic boxes are
unpatchable, abandoned by their makers, and completely opaque.
These devices are currently the Internet's public enemy #1. The
plan proposed would significantly decontaminate our technology
supply chain," said Dr. Paul Vixie, CEO of Farsight Security,
Inc.

"The recommendations in this document would go a long way toward
ensuring the existence of a highly performant, secure, and
regulation-compliant Internet far into the future," said Jonathan
Corbet, Executive Editor, LWN.net.

"As the recent revelations about the 'Moon Worm,' 'DNSchanger,'
and 'Misfortune Cookie' and now the Volkswagen scandal
illustrate, secret, locked-down firmware represents a clear and
present danger to the security of the Internet," said Ted Lemon,
recent Area Director at the IETF.

"If we raise the bar for firmware code quality, maintenance, and
upgrades, we can finish beating bufferbloat, especially on Wi-Fi,
deploy IPv6 faster, improve security, and build a vastly better
Internet, for everybody," said Dave Tht, Architect, CeroWrt,
co-founder, Bufferbloat Project.

If you care about this important issue and agree with our
approach, please contact your local Congressional representative
and share our letter with them. For media interview requests or
other inquiries, please contact media at bufferbloat.net.

About the Bufferbloat Project

The Bufferbloat Project is an international coalition of
individuals, many who were instrumental in the development of the
Internet, and several with Wi-Fi, deeply concerned about the
future health, speed, and safety of the edge of the Internet. In
operation for 5 years, and working primarily on third-party
firmware, it has pioneered new algorithms, boosted safety and
security, helped develop new standards, and worked to make as
much of this new theory and code available as possible for all to
use. For more information, please visit
http://www.bufferbloat.net.