[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Discuss] weird disk issues
- Subject: [Discuss] weird disk issues
- From: richard.pieri at gmail.com (Rich Pieri)
- Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:01:17 -0400
- In-reply-to: <20151015152912.GE6937@randomstring.org>
- References: <email@example.com> <20151015152912.GE6937@randomstring.org>
On 10/15/2015 11:29 AM, Dan Ritter wrote: > 7 year old system? I would consider the power supply and the > SATA controller prime for replacement, and also replace the SATA > cables - they're cheap. This. Also, get the firmware on the 840 EVO drive(s) updated. 840 EVO has a design flaw that will result in significant performance degradation due to overagressive error correction behavior. The most recent 840 EVO firmware fixes this. The Linux software RAID systems will pop entire arrays if disk I/O times out. I've seen it happen with "green" drives that spin down and take too long to spin back up again. I don't know if your SSD is involved at all but fixing the performance problem there won't hurt. -- Rich P.