[Discuss] laptop as router

Speaking of routers, are there any caveats to using an old laptop as a
router?  I'm about to move into a 1 BR.  The retail router we have now
is following my roommate to her 1 BR. My only networked devices
are two laptops, one around 4 years old and the other maybe 6 or
7 years old.

Was looking at getting an Alix board or maybe an old used Soekris
4501 and running OpenBSD on it. But thinking more about it I don't want
to waste the money and time. Better to use the older laptop, which
already has OpenBSD on it, as the router. I'd forego wireless since
all computing will happen in one room and I still have a long ethernet
cable from pre-wireless days. But the laptop only has one ethernet.
So either a usb/ethernet adapter for the 2nd or a usb to usb bridge like
this (using RNDIS):

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/cdce.4?query=cdce&sec=4

The latter seems neat. But would a visitor with a Macintosh be able
to use it?  On the other hand not having internet for guests might
be a plus. It's not that interesting hanging out with my friend
when she has her computer.

The only drawback I can think of is the power usage. This laptop
draws around 30 watts idle IIRC.

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org