[Discuss] Profiting from GPL software

> Of course, the irony of it is that the GPL is not free as in freedom for
> everyone. Recipients of GPL software benefit from the terms of the license.
> Contributors to, and distributors of, GPL software are placed under
> onerous, burdensome requirements. This is why I spell out "free as in FSF"
> when I mean RMS' particular brand of "freedom".

I have no idea what "onerous and burdensome requirements" are placed on
contributors to GPL software.  I've contributed to GPL software and the
price I paid was learning how to do so; with the tools to do so... a price
made attainable _by_ the very nature and existence of the GPL software I'm
writing. The complete ecosystem of GPL software used to create and publish
my work is the opposite of onerous and burdensome.  It's empowering and
liberating.

In any event, I'd love to counter your attacks on Richard Stallman and the
FSF, but I'm busy today profiting from "selling" free software.  No, I
don't press 10,000,000 CDs and sell software the lazy way.  Everyone uses
software.  I help them use free software and I sell my time and expertise.

~ Greg