[Discuss] systemd explanations

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 21:50:26 -0500
IngeGNUe <ingegnue at riseup.net> wrote:

> There was discussion about systemd tonight and among the remarks was
> that there weren't any satisfying technical explanations, or
> explanation in general.
>
> Not sure if this is technical enough for your tastes, but it did make
> me feel more warmly towards the systemd switchover in many distros,
> so upon request this is the blog post I found:
>
> http://0pointer.net/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
>
> I haven't forgiven the decision to have binary logs, but apparently
> systemd follows the unix way?

See also that page's companion:

http://judecnelson.blogspot.com/2014/09/systemd-biggest-fallacies.html

I would add one more fallacy: Almost every pro-systemd document, blog,
presentation and video presents it as a choice between systemd and
sysvinit, or possibly systemd vs sysvinit vs upstart. But the truth
is, there are many other init systems, one of which I use every day.

> For everything else, GuixSD isn't running systemd so maybe that's
> worth a look :)

And...

*BSD
Void Linux
Gentoo and Funtoo
Manjaro OpenRC
Alpine Linux
Slackware
Many more.

If "Alpine Linux" sounds familiar, that's the new development platform
Docker is moving to.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key