[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Discuss] What was once old is new again...
- Subject: [Discuss] What was once old is new again...
- From: mbr at arlsoft.com (MBR)
- Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 21:38:54 -0500
- In-reply-to: <56C55630.email@example.com>
- References: <63953B680AFBBD4BBCFDC4B37542C0B35AAF3939@OC11EXPO32.exchange.mit.edu> <56C55630.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 2/18/16 12:27 AM, Bill Horne wrote: > Bill, who thinks that loading FOCAL from paper tape is the true test > of computer wizardry! > I never used FOCAL, but I frequently loaded EDU20 from paper tape. EDU20 was the version of DEC's PDP-8 multi-user BASIC that ran without a mass storage device. It could output only to an ASR-33 tty or a high speed paper tape punch, but it fit in 12K 12-bit words! My first task when I started working for DEC was adding enhancements to EDU20 and EDU25. EDU25 was the version of the code that supported DECtape and disk. I've always felt that the true test of computer wizardry is figuring out what the following code does and how it does it. In the first week or so after I started at DEC, my officemate gave me this code as a challenge: 0004 TAD 5 0005 DCA I 10 0006 JMP 4 0007 ISZ 10 0010 10 So, all you PDP-8 programmers out there (all 2 of you), put on your thinking caps! Mark Rosenthal