[Discuss] Docker and Own^h^h^h Nextcloud

David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes:

> I have a family. But if I didn't, there's still the problem of
> multiple computers and Android devices.  rsync is great for keeping
> two computers up to date but what if you have a desktop and a laptop
> and a tablet and a phone and there are some documents you want to
> read/write on all of those devices?  At the very least I would use
> unison for bidirectional syncing, not rsync.

I guess that could be handy. Personally if I had documents like that I'd
put them in the one area I control that no one ever turns off -- that
being my home directory on SDF's disk cluster -- and then I'd get it
from there, maybe looking into sshfs if getting at them in emacs (via
its tramp emacs lisp package, which, if you're unfamiliar with it, is
something like gnome vfs) isn't adequate.  Auto-syncing might be
something I want at some point, for my music files and family
photos/videos especially, but for the near future the storage sizes are
so different on my three devices that I need to think a bit about what
gets copied where, so something more manual or custom written makes more
sense for me. Besides, I could use the practice at writing shell scripts
and should learn more about udev, which is all probably more fun than
whatever I'd need to learn to get going with nextcloud.

Maybe I'd be more curious about it if nextcloud wrapped bittorrent in an
easy way others would like, letting me use my friends' and relatives'
computers to share, backup, and distribute pictures and videos of my
son, done in a way where no central server (e.g. SDF) gets hit too
much. Then again I'm not sure any of these people leave their computers
on that long, except their phones and the storage on those isn't
adequate yet, nor could I assume people would have the kind of data plan
where they'd want to participate. On that topic, can you use non-web
services like bittorrent, ssh and tor okay on t-mobile's network?  Was
wondering how general an ISP they are and if I'd be happy dropping RCN
in favour of only using mobile hotspotting for home networking. My
available network capacity is about 10 times what I seem to need, so I
should buy less of it, to the degree there exist product options between
too much and none at all.

I had started to write something about Android devices in my first
email, since I just got my first one a month or so ago, but thought I
shouldn't take things on a tangent with my beginner questions (so feel
free to skip this paragraph). Android seems to have some annoying
issues. Anyone successfully run an alternative like Replicant or
something Mer based?  SailfishOS sounds kind of nice. Some of it may be
solveable by rooting the phone but because of some software Samsung puts
on this model, something called Knox, it sounds as if that's not such a
good idea. According to threads online Samsung does some kind of remote
attestation on the system software and will set a hardware flag, in a
way that can't be unset, if you do certain things like root it or
install another operating system. Oh, and btw. how did it come to be
that phone operating systems are called firmwares or even ROMs?  That
strikes me as a massive piece of manipulative b.s. by someone or other,
not to mention this term "sideloading." Can we thank Apple for this
terminology?

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org