[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/11/2017 9:44 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> If you had the ability to future-proof your house (imagine open studs,
>> so you could run anything you wanted), what would you run.  Assume a max
>> of 6 cables per drop?
>
> I wouldn't. Wires for data are the past, not the future, for consumer
> applications. Instead I would update the electrical wiring. Start with a

I am sorry, but I completely disagree.  Even with modern Wifi, I can get
much better throughput using physical wires if for no other reason than
each link can be switched and therefore isn't "shared".  With Wifi,
every device is sharing the medium.  I.e., I can get 20-30Gbps aggregate
across my 1Gbps physical network, versus maybe 1.2Gbps across my 1200AC
Wifi.  And let's not even start with interference from my neighbors!

> circuit breaker panel upgrade to at least include a whole residence
> surge protector. Each room gets at least one easily accessible box of
> power outlets which includes USB fast charge power. Each room also gets
> at least one near-ceiling power outlet box for WiFi repeaters or
> resonant power stations so that they can be mounted clear of furniture
> with a minimum of visible power cables.

I know all that -- I was asking for what would be "beyond CAT6a".  It
sounds like maybe fiber, but I think I've been convinced that I wont
need it, at least not to each drop.

> But if you're still dead-set on running data wires then don't run wires.
> Run conduit with pull strings so you can easily install whatever you
> need and remove it later when you decide to replace it.

As I said, I can't run conduit to every drop, so that's just out of the
question.  I can run conduit for some major cross-runs, or from basement
to attic, but not to every drop.

So...  My current thinking is 1 RG6 and 3 or 4 CAT6a, which leaves me 1
or 2 potential keystone spots.  I suppose I could 1 + 3 and use a 4-spot
keystone vs. a 6-spot keystone.  I'll need to decide.  Honestly I'd like
to have 4 cat6a drops, which means I still have 1 spot and not sure how
to fill it.

Suggestions?

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745