[Discuss] [Position-available] Sysadmin and Junior Sysadmin in Kendall Square

To post your own position-available or position-wanted
message, please follow the procedure at:
http://blu.wikispaces.com/job+posting+policy

Web version: http://www.smartleaf.com/careers/

I'm going to quote the sysadmin ad here; the junior
ad is also on the website, and basically consists of
"you have a little experience in some of these things
and would like to learn more".

Job Description

We are a hands-on operations team with 24/7 responsibility. Billions
of dollars of other people's money flow through our systems; we ensure
these systems keep running. Our processes are (or should be) scalable,
repeatable, and recoverable. We identify problems and help solve them, no
matter where they are in the systems. When we need a better tool, we find
it or build it. Our cardinal virtues are laziness, impatience and hubris.

This team handles:
? Building and maintaining environments for development, test,
and production.
? Automating work with our configuration management system,
Tuttle.
? Helping to maintain IT services such as mail, printing, and
Asterisk PBX.
? Building and maintaining internal and colo networks.
? Some minor desktop user support - Linux, Mac, a few Windows.
You will also be asked to:
? Document work in the clearest, most simple terms possible (so
that you are happy to see it at 3am).
? Assist in project planning, budgeting, and resource
management.

There is an overnight on-call rotation that all of our team shares. Only
about 3% of your on-call nights will involve actually being woken up;
we would like to make that zero, and you'll have power to help make
those changes.

Please note this is not an all-remote position.

Our technology stack includes Debian Linux, a systems automation suite
called Tuttle, Chef, Oracle, Ruby on Rails, C++, Perl, git. We use
RequestTracker for ticketing; routers and firewalls are from Juniper.
Our employees mostly use Macs, with a bare handful of Windows desktops
to support. There are no Microsoft servers.

Qualifications

We would like to see candidates with:
? 5+ years experience managing Linux or other UNIX systems.
? Familiarity with one or more of Perl, Python, Ruby, or a similar
systems language.
? Experience with installation and configuration automation.
? Strengths in other areas that complement our team members.
Other useful skills include:
? Some knowledge of Debian and RPM packaging systems.
? Familiarity with at least one configuration management system
such as cfengine, Puppet or Chef.
? Oracle, MySQL or Postgres administration.
? IPsec, mail, dns, web servers, load balancing, routing, firewalling,
and performance monitoring.
Most importantly, we are looking for candidates who are clever,
competent, and kind.
Please note a financial services background is NOT required.

Culture and Benefits

Currently Smartleaf is located in a top-floor office a short walk away
from the Kendall T stop in Cambridge. With a little over 30 employees,
we are a relaxed and friendly office focused on client and employee
satisfaction.

We offer:

? Competitive compensation.
? Comprehensive health and dental coverage.
? Three week paid time off, plus holidays.
? Flexible office hours and a fully-stocked kitchen.

How to Apply

Please send cover letters and resumes to future at smartleaf.com in
plain text or PDF. In your cover letter, tell us about an interesting
technical problem that you have solved in a way that excites us to learn
more. Questions are welcome;we look forward to hearing from you.