[Discuss] AD/LDAP authentication

Your description of how it works isn't really accurate. Centrify
DirectControl (the authentication product) works as a client application
that works via PAM. It is simply a mechanism that authenticates users to
the system via AD and creates objects in AD that store unix attributes in
AD so that they are accessible in such a way as to make those attributes
consistent across systems (they have a patent on this functionality). The
Express product only includes the client functionality for authentication
(and SSO), there is no Windows-side application in that case. For the
commercial version of the product you would have the Windows-side
applications which allow you to create "Zones" with different attributes
for each user so that you can fine-tune access controls on a per-zone
basis. This allows you to do things like allow/disallow access to systems
based upon what Zone those systems are joined to, as well as fine-tune
permissions, apply GPOs, and assign per-zone group memberships (and lots of
other things). It also has DirectAuthorize which is a product that allows
you to manage group- or user-based privilege elevation on a per-zone basis
(sudo-like functionality). The Windows application is only for management
and doesn't run as a service and only needs to be installed on a system
joined to the domain (not necessarily a domain controller). It also doesn't
modify AD schema in any way. There is also an MMC plugin for management
right in ADUC, and a bunch of GPO templates for adding policy for Linux,
Unix and Mac systems.

In short, Centrify DirectControl is simply a client program for
authentication not unlike Windbindd or slapd, except that it behaves more
like a Microsoft product (several of the founders of the company worked at
Microsoft), utilizing the domain itself to ensure redundancy, cross-system
consistency, and to simplify disaster recovery.

Grant M.