[Discuss] Mothballing Synology NAS

Actually, QNAP is probably one of the worst storage system vendors. They
offer little or no support. They sat on a silent corruption bug until they
were out-ed by a blogger who went public after the company's refusal to
acknowledge the bug:

http://www.sbsfaq.com/?p=4277

I have personally had to deal with qnap as a back-end to a ZFS storage
appliance and the customer kept getting corruption errors. (He actually
did have a disk failure/replacement in his raid.) We showed him the bug
report. That system is now "retired."

Worse yet, they don't publish the systems affected by the bug, oh no! They
only published the systems NOT affected by the bug leaving you to wonder
whether or not you are affected. "Is that my system? Its close, but not
exact."

Those small closed systems aren't worth it. A moderate ECC RAM motherboard
barebones system and good SATA disks will come in at about the same price,
be faster, and be more reliable.

Or pony up for a real storage system with support and service level
agreements.