[Discuss] Linux has 100% of Market Share.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 05:26:42PM -0400, Marco Milano wrote:

> On 06/18/2018 04:22 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>
> I disagree, 20 years ago, that was the only option,
> now anybody can "create" a virtual supercomputer in the cloud
> as needed, as long as they have the funds for it.
> So, less relevant now compared to 20 years ago.
> If you look at the specs of this latest one, there is nothing special,
> anybody with a fat wallet can create one, and that is exactly what this is.

That would depend on your definition of supercomputer, and
particularly on the degree and speed of interconnection that
you need.

If all you need is a large number of processors working on
different chunks of data, you're absolutely right, Marco.

If you need to solve physical simulations and models that
require lots of interprocessor communications, no, you can't
just run out to Amazon and say "Give me a data center full
of machines for 24 hours".

-dsr-