[Discuss] Thunderbird not connecting to Comcast IMAP server

On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 22:07:18 -0400
worley at alum.mit.edu (Dale R. Worley) wrote:

> More easily, it looks like fetchmail can be configured to fetch from
> an IMAP server.  If you give it --keep, the messages won't be deleted
> from the server after they are fetched, and --fetchlimit can be used
> to limit it to operating on one message.

I recommend getmail over fetchmail. I switched about a year, year and a
half ago and I'm happy I did. getmail is much simpler to configure
especially with multiple accounts. It's also much less buggy, actively
maintained, doesn't lose mail, doesn't mangle messages, doesn't cause
mail loops, DJB doesn't hate it, and it isn't an abomination before God.

https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=585008+0+/usr/local/www/mailindex/archive/2001/freebsd-arch/20010218.freebsd-arch

Here's what my Gmail config looks like. This automatically deletes mail
from the server after 7 days. I originally delivered to a Maildir
folder but when I switched from Thunderbird to Sylpheed I decided to
use procmail for filtering.

[options]
read_all = False
delete_after = 7