new cdrom

Anyone know anything about changes in ATAPI or IDE protocols?  I'm having
trouble installing RedHat 5.0 on a brand-spanky new Acer PII.  During boot,
linux reports something on 'hdc', but is unable to determine what.  I've
tried forcing it with 'boot:  linux hdc=cdrom', but it still doesn't
see hdc as a CDROM drive when the installation program gets to the point
of trying to access the CDROM.

The drive is a master on the secondary IDE channel.

Win95 is able to see (and read from) the drive either as a master or a slave.

This is the second time I've had trouble with RedHat 5.0 seeing a CDROM.
The first time, on an Acer Entra system, switching the CDROM from slave
to master on the secondary IDE channel was enough.

Thanks in advance....

(P.S.  I was planning on helping at the Installfest tomorrow, but now I'm
not sure I'm qualified anymore...)