round 3 on errant ATAPI CDROM drive....

More testing has revealed that the drive is not recognized by a 2.0.30
kernel during boot (hdc: no response (status = 0xd0)), on an older machine
(about 1 yr old), but with the boot prompt

	linux hdc=cdrom

the drive could later be mounted, and a CDROM read from it.  The message

	hdc: ATAPI cdrom (?)

appears after boot.  On this same machine, with no special re-configuration,
WinNT 4 can use the drive.

There apparently are different ATAPI protocol levels, but there seems have
been an explicit attempt made to make them backward compatible.  I'm trying
to find out what version ATAPI protocol this drive supports, and also
to see what's in the 2.1 kernel for IDE/CDROM support.