DDD && xwpe (fwd)

Hi,
	talking about class browser:
does anyone know about a very handy program called ETAG? and the emacs
etag mode?
Well, this program takes your C/C++ source code (of an executable or
library) and creates a database containing the references of all your
variables/methods/classes.
Then emacs is able to read that database and it allows you (emacs e-tag
mode) to jump from file to file from a method to its declaration, from
usage of a variable to its declaration and so on.
The only missing thing (AFAIK) is a graphical browser for that (the neat
combo on the top left corner of the Code Warrior Editor...... well all
the rest even the e-diff (comparison between buffers e/o files) mode is
THE SAME in emacs)

If I may suggest other topics:
-  gprof: I don't usually use it even because I don't have an easy/handy
way to browse it (read it "a gui for it" or a handy mode for emacs)
-  Debugging Tools for Dynamic Storage Allocation and Memory Management
(I copied the title from
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/homes/zorn/public_html/MallocDebug.html): I
use purify BUT it is available only for Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX and NT
(When I talk to them about Linux and a Linux port they asked me what it
was !!!!!); AND it cost 2350$ and changes per workstation [BTW, X
people, you don't have any idea of how many X variable are accessed
without any initialization and how many "read after array boundaries"
are done inside XLib!!!!....]

Well, about programming and tools that help programmers to do it, we
could talk for days, but I really would like to see some of these topics
at least mentioned....
(and we haven't talked about graphic libraries (Motif, LessTiff, Qt,
gtk, tcl/tk), scripting languages (perl, pyton, tcl...) interface to
them (swig [VERY USEFULL]), IDE and VISUAL IDE (Visual TCL, WXWindows,
Glade, KDevelop.....), libraries (Standard Template Libraries,...)).

Well, I know I put too much meat on the fire but if I don't find gurus
at MIT ;)....

Cheers
			Massimo

Chuck Young wrote:

> Glenn asked me to pass this on to the group as well...
>
> I have already asked the only emacs fanatic I know if he would be
> interested.  I was thinking 40 minutes for DDD 40 minutes for xwpe and 40
> minutes on emacs (I know emacs could go all night, but then couldn't
> everything go on all night?  :-))
>
> Chuck Young
> GTE Internetworking

Massimo Morin        | Scheduling Systems Inc.
Software Engineer    |
-------------------  | Three University Office Park, suite 100
13, Charnwood Rd     | 95 Sawyer Road
Somerville 02144 MA  | Waltham,