printing on linux

Hello all:

I have a question.  I am trying to set up an HP laser jet 4m on my dell pc
running linux.  I know all hardware works because it is a dual boot
machine and I can print from the windows partition.  Everying seems to be
fine (daemon is running, print jobs go to the que) but the computer isn't
seeing the printer, ie, the lpc status is: "waiting for device lp to be
ready (offline?)"

Is there some little switch somewhere to let the computer communicate with
the printer, ie, maybe the default is for the voltage on pin 3 to be sucha
and such bbut with hp printers it is pin 4 and I need to change it or
something, maybe a flag to set in printcap or some modification to
/dev/lp1??

Thanks,

Chris
             { Chris Beck                        }