Netscape problems (fwd)

One way to get around the tiny font problem is to use one of the truetype
font servers out there along with your windows fonts. If you don't use
windows at all, microsoft has kindly put a "web font pack" on their website
for download.

The problem isn't netscape (though it's unwillingness to abide by the user's
preferences is somewhat perplexing?), it's XFree86. It's horrible with
fonts! Fortunately there are truetype font servers available (check on
freshmeat.net), and it's being addressed for XFree86 4.0.

I suppose we could point a finger at the web page authors for not doing some
simple tests to see what their pages look like under other operating
systems, but in this case it's somewhat hopeless. Depending on what the end
user's preferences are, they can easily muck up a well designed page. I've
been a lot happier with netscape since I started using truetype fonts under
X.

Side note... using relative font sizes in HTML (<font size="-1">) is FAR
better than setting absolute sizes (<font size="1">). A relative size tells
the browser to go "-1" down from the user's preference, where as the
absolute is just that... an absolute size that may not even be legible in
the user's browser.

Niall