Multiple ethernets on one cable modem

Okay, so the modem is doing the filtering based on the MAC that YOUR NIC
reports to it, not some M1X database? I think that's where I was confused. I
thought people were saying the modems were smart enough to query a list
somewhere and decide if it's an "authorized" MAC.

So if I throw in a new NIC, power cycle the modem so it picks up the new
MAC, will I still be able to get an IP address?

Sorry if I'm starting to bug you. I'm starting to irritate myself. ;)

FYI, I'm pretty sure Derek is back online. His DNS record update went
through yesterday, so if he's subscribed via his @netria.com address he
should be getting mail there. I'm not sure if his work email is working yet
though.

And thanks to all who are enlightening me!

Niall