Linux on a Laptop

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Paul Courchene wrote:

> GNHLUGers
>
> A Friend asked me about running Linux on a Laptop (?)
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a current Make and Model
> that they feel is particularly successful ?
> Looking for "low to middle market" Laptop to run Linux?

You can check the Linux on Laptops page for details of how many laptops
handle linux:

    http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

I personally like the Sony Vaio C1X, which works very well with Linux.
It's very lightweight and has a small footprint; I can carry it around all
day without noticing the weight. The screen is 1024x480; the system is a
Pentium MMX 266 with 64mb memory and a 4gb hard drive. It's listed at
CompUSA for $1800. To install Linux on it:

    http://www.solluna.org/~bookwyrm/pcg-c1x.html

If you're looking for something cheaper, I found a bunch of used laptops a
while back for a coworker:

Used Laptops (searched google.com for "used laptops sale")
        http://www.used-pcs.com/notebook.shtml
        http://www.micro-star.com/laptop.html
        http://www.laptopguys.com/home.htm
        http://www.laptopguys.com/Book_Size_PC.htm