shared libraries

Glenn Burkhardt wrote:

> I get the same thing unless I include -L/usr/X11R6/lib in the link line.  I
> don't think the linker uses the shared library cache file; it's used at
> run time to find the libraries.
>
> For example:
>
> gcc -o er < ... object modules ... > -L/usr/local/qt/lib -lqt -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -lX11 -lXext -lICE -lSM -lm
>
> finds libraries in multiple locations.

Stupid question:  Why does the linker find -lm but not, say, -lqt
without -L/usr/local/qt/lib?  I.E. - where are the default locations
specified?  I always just hack in -L/something/something as needed until
things compile.  Wouldn't hurt to actually know what I'm doing...

Just so you don't get paranoid - I just write C++ for fun, not profit.
I'm not writing nuclear reactor core management software or anything:-)

-Ron-
-