broadband access

jc at trillian.mit.edu wrote:

> --------
>
> |  This is the first time I've heard of this. I've had a lan behind a gateway
> |  for atleast three months now, nothing's happened to me.
> |
> |  I don't have a VPN, so, it doesn't really affect me. You should take that
> |  up with RCN yourself :)
> |
> |  Anyways. You can choose which stuff you want from RCN. You can get just
> |  the cable modem, just the cable tv, just the phone, or cable modem + phone
> |  (which is what I have), etc, etc.
>
> One of the better (and funnier) stories  about  "tie-in"  sales  from
> cable companies can be read at:
>    http://www.geocities.com/flutocracy/cablemodem.htm
>
> This is the story of a woman who ordered cable modem service  without
> getting  the  cable  TV service, and found herself the defendent in a
> criminal fraud case as a result.

I read the story. Pretty scary. At least they finally pulled their heads
out of their butt...

> |  Hope this helps, I like RCN.
>
> It's useful to hear both good and bad stories.  Keep 'em coming ...

> One of the very real problems with Mediaone's "no servers" policy was
> that  they objected to my running telnetd and sshd.  Several people I
> talked to made it clear that their service was only for running a web
> browser,  and  any other use was at best a violation of their service
> contract.  I'd like my home machine to be accessible from the Net, so
> that  I  can occasionally grab programs and copy them to a machine at
> work.  This is clearly outside Mediaone's model of what the  Internet
> is for, and with only a dial-out connection, it isn't possible.  It's
> also impossible if you can't (legally) run a server like sshd.

I am also concerned about this. I'm kind of leaning towards MediaOne,
but I don't want to have my service TOS'ed because I want to SSH into my
home network! My biggest question is: how actively do they look for
servers? I don't want to have to switch cable providers in a month or
two. But on the other hand, MediaOne/AT&T has a free installation
special... so it won't cost me any money to try.

And now for an off-topic question: when replying to mailing lists, is
replying only to the list (vs. "Reply All") the "polite" thing to do? I
know it kind of bugs me to have multiple copies in my mailbox, but it is
a small thing. Is there a FAQ somewhere on this topic?

--
Drew Taylor
Vialogix Communications, Inc.