Re-learn C++ or Java?

IMHO, you need to be able to get your resume from the HR people to the
hiring managers and then get the interview. Over the years, I've been
successful in getting contract jobs in both weak and strong markets.
First, when creating your resume, in general terms make sure your skills
are easily identifiable by HR people, which means buzz words.  The next
area is to back up your skills by your employment and training history.
Thirdly, be prepared to answer technical questions when interviewing and
don't be afraid to tell them you don't know something. The key to getting a
job is that you need to sell yourself and your resume is your marketing
document. Don't advertise a skill that you don't have, but also don't be
afraid to advertise a skill that you have but are not expert. Also, it is
useful to customize your resume to fit the job. Use headhunters, but be
careful when selecting them. Some are veryb sleazy. The headhunters can
help to get you the interview.
On the contract side, when I'm available, I make sure that I have a minimum
of 6 headhunters with my resume. It's amazing how many different clients
they can get your paper into. I've had some cases where my paper was sent
to a client by multiple head hunters, but in the contract arena, they
always ask you before submitting.

IMHO, most of these courses do not compare to what you should be able to do
yourself. The only positive thing is that you can document the course.
David Kramer wrote:
> So I am part of the large crowd that is exceeding at being unemployed.
>
> I'm heavily in the UNIX camp (never done Windows-specific development, but
> I have done cross-platform).  Strong C and Perl and web development on
> UNIX.  Most of the UNIX (aledged) positions out there seem to require C++,
> Java, embedded, and/or real time.
>
> I have taken classes in both C++ and Java, and have gone through books on
> my own.  I know C++ pretty well, and Java passingly.  Embedded programming
> and realtime are not easily learned in a classroom, and certainly not in
> one course.
>
> The frustrating part is that very few companies seem to care about what I
> know, they only care about how many years I got paid for doing it in the
> past.  This seems a little myopic to me.  On the occasions that I have
> gotten companies to give me a C++ technical test I have done well.
>
> I'm thinking that if I take another course in one of these topics now, it
> won't be job experience but at least it will be more recent (the other
> classes were several years ago).
>
> a) Does this make sense, or am I wasting my time and $1200 or so?
>
> b) C++ or Java?  Since I have done web development, Java seems like a good
> choice,  but C++ is more flexible for other types of applications.
>
> c) What training companies do you recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org