Political activism for Linux users/advocates

Some things I'll add about "Political Activism"
1.  Write / call your congresscritters - both House and Senate.  That's
write as in snail-mail, not write as in e-mail.  Very important, because
it means you cared enough to take time and write.  E-mails are too quick.
2.  Be polite.
3.  Remember, on most topics, they hear NOTHING from their constituents.
The fact that someone takes time to write counts a lot.  The fact that a
lot of people write counts for more.  They do know who votes (even if
someone else pays the bill).
4.  Emphasize the problems with the bill in terms they understand.  For
DMCA, I point out that, if the same law were applied to consumer safety,
we'd send anyone who complained about the Firestone tires on their Ford
vehicles to jail. For this new law, I'd say, it says "Ford and Firestone
are required to build dangerous products. And, we'll jail anyone who
complains, or points out the problems with the products.
5.  Another point:  Many top computer people (Alan Cox for one) will no
longer come to the US BECAUSE of DMCA enforcement.  Remind them that these
are the jobs they want to protect HERE - and we're sending them oversees
BECAUSE of DMCA/ SSSCA.  That's as in, losing high-paying AMERICAN jobs to
our international competitors.
6.  Donate to EFF, ACLU, etc.
7.  Given the last part of 5 above - it might be worthwhile to talk to
AFL/CIO (and before anyone says anything bad about unions, there are good
and bad in unions, and they have money and the organization to fight).

jeff