Guidance for a novice

Neelu,

I second John's recommendation for Learning Perl. You might also want to
check out "Elements of Programming with Perl" by Andrew L. Johnson. It's
published by Manning and the ISBN is 1884777805. I've been told that it is
a great book for new/novice programmers because it explains all the
concepts (and more) you mentioned below. Start with a couple of books. Then
look at _good_ examples of perl. Randal Schwartz's Web Techniques columns
are a great example because he explains each section line by line.
http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/

Please do join the Boston.pm mailing list and feel free to post any
questions you have. We're generally pretty easy on newbies if they've done
their homework first. :-)

Best of luck to you.

At 07:37 PM 10/24/01 -0400, John Abreau wrote:

>Hi, Neelu. I'd recommend starting with the O'Reilly book "Learning Perl";
>that will give you an excellent start. O'Reilly's Unix books are the best,
>in my opinion.
>
>You might also find some help on our discussion list and/or on the Boston
>PerlMongers list. I've cc'ed both of them.
>
>On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Neelu Chawla wrote:
>
> > Hiya,
> >
> > My name is Neelu Chawla.  I'm a very very very
> > novice programmer looking to learn PERL.  Hope its
> > okay that I'm emailing you recognizing you're a member
> > of the Boston Linux/Unix group.
> >
> > Would you know of anyone who would have time to give
> > me an intro to perl so that I can gain some confidence
> > to continue learning on my own?
> >
> > I'm looking for a 1-2 hour tutorial.  In return, I'd
> > be happy to make a home-cooked indian meal or or treat
> > to a dinner out.
> >
> > The main categories of info I'd like to learn from
> > you:
> >
> > * Perl programming on a unix server vs. windows
> > * Working with scalar data
> > * Using lists and arrays
> > * Subroutines
> > * Hashes
> > * Regular expressions
> > * Working with simple databases
> >

> > Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you.
> >
> > Yours,
> > Neelu Chawla

> > http://personals.yahoo.com
> >

>- --
>- --
>John Abreau / Executive Director, Boston Linux & Unix
>ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
>Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org
>
>-
>Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with
>"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" on the first line of the
>message body to discuss-request at blu.org (Subject line is ignored).

Drew Taylor                     JA[P|m_p|SQL]H
http://www.drewtaylor.com/      Just Another Perl|mod_perl|SQL Hacker
mailto:drew at drewtaylor.com      *** God bless America! ***
ICQ: 135298242

-