BASH Posix compliance

Last night I was looking at the bash man page and noticed
that bash has a posix compliance mode that you can access
by starting bash with the --posix switch or by set -o posix.
Since the speaker Wednesday said the BASH shell was NOT
compliant, I though I would check it out.

The Bash manual at GNU.ORG sites 23 ways that bash is
compliant with the standard when you use the posix mode.
http://www.gnu.org/manual/bash-2.02/html_chapter/bashref_5.html#SEC74

It seems that the biggest difference is that the only
startup script that is run is the one defined by the
ENV variable.

The same document mentions only one way that BASH is not
compliant. "There is other POSIX.2 behavior that Bash does
not implement. Specifically: Assignment statements affect
the execution environment of all builtins, not just special ones."

Jim Long
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8