ok let me try this again....

I have a few suggestions (they're probably not great ones :-)

It sounds like you are *not* dual-booting since you indicate you have wiped the drive. If that's true, then I'm confused why you are using a Win98 boot floppy to run MS-DOS fdisk. I only do this if I plan to dual-boot the box.

I don't know what (Win98) fdisk settings would make it easier for your install, but if you're not dual-booting I recommend re-running (win98) fdisk, and DELETE all partitions.

I've had Linux break during install due to IDE partitioning Linux did not like, myself.

Another thing to try:
With a clean disk (no partitions at all), let Disk Druid automatically partition. If your disk is clean, that will work.

If disk druid does not work, you can manually use Linux's fdisk to partition, but Disk Druid does the job well.

Suggestion:
Try using the TEXT-MODE installer. Often the text installers can handle errors better, and have more options.

Another suggestion:
If you're using a boot CD-ROM, make a boot floppy and try that. It's different code and a different source/bus/etc. Once I got Linux installed on a friend's system using a floppy, even though the BIOS supported CD-ROM booting. Don't ask me why the floppy worked and the CD didn't.

Lastly:
I'd grab a newer version of RedHat, like 7.3 or 8.0. The hope is that the newer install code is more fault-tolerant (or you could always grab another Linux distribution like Linux Mandrake).

You've verified your SCSI bus is terminated and has recently been in a working condition, right (or did you just build this recently)?

-Scott