When DNS over DHCP breaks?

More info...

I think that Norton Firewall was giving me grief.  I turned it off.

The two DNS servers reported by my attbi connection are:

204.127.202.19
216.148.227.79

I can ping them and get a response!  Which leads me to believe that I now
have outside connectivity (perhaps killing the firewall did it?)  But if I
execute nslookup I get:

DNS request timed out.
     timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 204.127.202.19: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
     timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 216.148.227.79: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server:  UnKnown
Address:  204.127.202.19

So, I don't fully understand what's going on.  I didn't think that DNS
servers needed to lookup their own names.

Duane