Is there a Proxomitron clone for Linux?

----- Original Message -----
From: <ron.peterson at yellowbank.com>
To: "Bill Horne" <bill at horne.net>
Cc: "BLU Discussion List" <discuss at blu.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: Is there a Proxomitron clone for Linux?

> On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 01:04:56AM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
> > I've had good results using The Proxomitron ad-blocker on my windoze
box,
> > and would like to get an equivalent filter for Linux.
> >
> > Please pass along your opinions about how I can best eliminate pop-ups,
> > animated GIF's, etc. All suggestions welcome.
>
> Mozilla allows to disable javascript from opening unrequested windows.
>
> As for animated gifs, one solution is to use a caching dns server setup
> to send dns queries for the domains hosting the ads into the abyss.  Two
> steps: (1) configure your dns server to be authoritative for the
> domains, (2) configure your resolv.conf to use localhost for name
> lookups.  If you're using a dhcp client to set resolv.conf, you'll
> likely need to edit the client's config to manually override the
> nameserver setting.
>
> I have a named.conf based on debian stable's bind9 config at home that
> looks like so:
>
> acl "homenets" { 172.16.0.0/16; 172.17.0.0/16; 127.0.0.1/32; };
>
> options {
> allow-query { "homenets"; };
> directory "/var/cache/bind";
> auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
> };
>
> // prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
> zone "." {
> type hint;
> file "/etc/bind/db.root";
> };
>
> // be authoritative for the localhost forward and reverse zones, and for
> // broadcast zones as per RFC 1912
>
> zone "localhost" {
> type master;
> file "/etc/bind/db.local";
> };
>
> zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
> type master;
> file "/etc/bind/db.127";
> };
>
> zone "0.in-addr.arpa" {
> type master;
> file "/etc/bind/db.0";
> };
>
> zone "255.in-addr.arpa" {
> type master;
> file "/etc/bind/db.255";
> };
>
> // dns blackhole.  db.local says nothing about these domains, so name
> // queries simply evaporate.
>
> zone "atwola.com" {
> type master;
> file "/etc/bind/db.local";
> };
>
> zone "doubleclick.com" {
> type master;
> file "/etc/bind/db.local";
> };
>
> zone "doubleclick.net" {
> type master;
> file "/etc/bind/db.local";
> };
>
> etc.

That's a good idea, and here are a couple of alternatives:

1) apply the same host spoofing to your hosts file (Windows has one, also).
2) Use Mozilla's "block all images from this server" feature.

Note that all three of these methods are ineffective when the ads are hosted
on a "regular" server (you can block/spoof fine, but you eliminate
legitimate images as well).

For these types of ads, you must use some kind of ad-blocking proxy, where
the proxy has some list (or pattern match) on ad-related images. This is how
squid_redirect works... it is a collaboratively-maintained list of regex
patterns, allow-exceptions and deny-exceptions.