SCO Unix Intellectual Property Pedigree Chart

On Thu, 1 May 2003 22:32:09 -0400
David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:

> And SCO paid for a license, which they claim IBM is diminishing the
> value of.
As mentioned in GNHLUG, SCO holds some of the patents and copyrights
since they own most of AT&T's Unix. The Unix brand was sold to The Open
Group. Certainly SCO either is licensed by The Open Group to use the
Unix brand, or by virtue of owning what's left of USL, they have a
perpetual license. But it is not the license of the brand that is the
issue. They own the Unix code and the associated patents and copyrights.
That's where the value is. Personally, I think that this whole process
is going to hurt SCO/Caldera in the long run.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group