Another question : tape drive

On Friday 09 May 2003 08:00 am, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I gave up on tapes years ago. I back up to a hard drive.

The deal breaker for tape backup in my eyes is not that tapes fail, but that
you usually don't know about the failure at write time.  You can only know
for sure that a backup was valid *at that time* by doing a full verify, which
often takes longer than the backup.  And the odds that a tape will go bad
just sitting there is much higher than for a hard drive or CD/DVD.

> IMHO, removable harddrives are better than fixed hard drives. In the
> past:
> I've had the tape drive (commercial 9 track) brun a hole trhough a
> backup tape. I've had PC tape drives trash my backups. My strategy is
> that 2 hard drives are not going to crash simultaneously (which is not a
> 100% valid assumption).

The only real risk of backing up to an internal hard drive is a hige voltage
spike knocking out both drives, which is unlikely (but not impossible; a
power supply failure could do it) if you're running on a UPS.

The only other downside is if you want to restore data from a while ago,
you're more likely to have a tape archive.  You can rotate around several
directories on your backup hard drive, but to store monthly or quarterly
backups you need a removable hard drive like a firewire or USB2.0 hard drive.
Or serial ATA.

One person I know has a mirroring RAID setup.  They leave the second hard
drive off.  To back up, he activates the second drive, waits for the sync to
finish, then takes the drive offline again.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "It is practically impossible to teach good programming concepts to
DKK D  students who have had prior exposure to BASIC. As potential
DK KD  programmers they are mutilated beyond hope of redemption."
DDDD                                  -Edsger Wybe Dijkstra, RIP 1930 - 2002