D'oh! moments

Enable serial console on the server.  Then you can attach your laptop to
the server using a null-modem cable, and log in through there.  If
you're laptop doesnt' have a serial port, there are usb to serial
adaptors available.

You probably have documentation available on how to set this up in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt.

Alternatively, you could write a script that checks for certain bad
situations on your server (sshd down, no interface, etc), and have it
run on a regular basis.  If you do something stupid, the script might
fix it... assuming it's one of the bad things you programmed it to know
about.