Comcast DNS/POP performance question

Resending because I used 'x' instead 'n' for the ips below and the
mailing list software thought it was obscene content!  ;-)

Since Comcast uses a single hostname for their POP server, are they
doing a DNS trick to route regional traffic to different IP addresses
for multiple POP servers?  e.g.  Boston's pop.comcast.net resolves to
nnn.nnn.nnn.1 and California's resolves to nnn.nnn.nnn.2, etc... Or are
they really using a simple powerful POP server to handle all the traffic
for comcast.net?  I ask this because if they are doing a DNS trick and
you don't use their DNS servers, performance can suffer.  Anyone know
the facts?