spam control again

On 15 Jul 2003, Seth Gordon wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 16:03, josephc at etards.net wrote:
> >
> > I think the amount of life taken off my companies equipment due to SPAM
> > could be measured in milli-seconds
>
> According to the statistics I've seen quoted, about half of all the
> email being passed around the Net is spam.  So if your ISP has purchased
> four T-1 lines to handle all its traffic, roughly half of that purchase
> price can be accounted to spam.

While the statistic may be correct, your application is not. While half of
all e-mail's may be SPAM, e-mail itself does not make up the majority of
Internet traffic. In fact, it's not even close (e-mail makes up about 5%
of Internet traffic, down from 40% 10 years ago acording to a study by
AT&T). So if your ISP has purchased 4 T1's, only 2.5% of that cost could
be attributed to SPAM.

-joe