Speaking of mail etc

Procmail is trivial to setup with postfix:

# The mailbox_command parameter specifies the optional external
# command to use instead of mailbox delivery. The command is run as
# the recipient with proper HOME, SHELL and LOGNAME environment settings.
# Exception:  delivery for root is done as $default_user.
#
# Other environment variables of interest: USER (recipient username),
# EXTENSION (address extension), DOMAIN (domain part of address),
# and LOCAL (the address localpart).
#
# Unlike other Postfix configuration parameters, the mailbox_command
# parameter is not subjected to $parameter substitutions. This is to
# make it easier to specify shell syntax (see example below).
#
# Avoid shell meta characters because they will force Postfix to run
# an expensive shell process. Procmail alone is expensive enough.
#
# IF YOU USE THIS TO DELIVER MAIL SYSTEM-WIDE, YOU MUST SET UP AN
# ALIAS THAT FORWARDS MAIL FOR ROOT TO A REAL USER.
#
mailbox_command = /usr/local/bin/procmail
#mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail -a "$EXTENSION"

Seriously, thats it.

So my vote is for postfix.  The postfix team has designed a great and secure MTA.  The only reason I'd run sendmail is if I wanted to get owned.

For IMAP, I've used courier and cyrus, courier is much easier to setup/configure.  It works well with users that want to login and check their mail with pine.  CYRUS is great too, but it stores all the mail in its own proprietary db format, which means users logging in to check mail will be out of luck.  Maybe you can configure around that now, but thats how it worked last I checked.

-miah