What distros support 486 machines?

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 05:53:43PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> "Bill Horne" <bill at horne.net> writes:
>
> > I'm running a 100MHz 486 with 49MB of ram. It has a 40GB hard drive.
>
> Did you try a RH install?  Or are you basing this completely on the
> release notes?  All their packages, AFAICT, are still compiled for
> i386, including the kernel package.

Like someone else on the list, I too have tried to install a recent
release of Red Hat (RH8, I think) on an older machine.  The packages
may well be compiled for i386[1], but whether or not that's the case
the install simply would not work, neither in text nor graphical mode.
It doesn't much matter if the software theoretically works on the
hardware if there's no practical way to get it installed...

-=-=-=-
[1] I heard somewhere that they are now compiled with pentium
optimizations, even if they claim to be i386 packages.  I can neither
confirm nor refute that.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/