Handling email bounces

We send automated emails via a web-based back-office application and
would like a better way to handle bounced emails. Originally we had the
simple To:, From: headers with the From: being set to the person who
sent the email. Recently we changed the From: address to be an alias
that I'm copied on. But that breaks the old behavior of allowing the
recipient to reply to the original person.

So now I'm looking for the "right" way to do it. Is there something like
an X-Bounce: header I can add, or is there another recommended way? I'm
about to dive into the SMTP RFC but pointers are appreciated.

Drew
Drew Taylor          *  Web app development & consulting
drew at drewtaylor.com  *  Site implementation & hosting
www.drewtaylor.com   *  perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres