Linux drive in a Windows box

It depends how the drive failed.  If the onboard disk controller
failed then you wont be able to talk to the disk no matter what
state the platters are in.  You could have a perfectly 100%
normal platter and drive mechanism but if the controller is
dead, you're SOL.

Unfortunately there are about 4 billion ICs in the world waiting
to fail due to a bad batch of epoxy resin or some such.  You should
talk to your disk manufacturers, and make sure you keep backups!

-derek